Acorns in a PineCone Tree

I made a ‘Acorns in a PineCone Tree’ holiday tree.p1100235

I painted the pinecone green and then painted white on the tips of its seed scales.
The acorns were left on the ground by squirrels so I didn’t feel bad about using them. I painted the acorns with sparkly red fingernail polish and painted their caps with mod-podge. I hot-glued the acorns to the pinecone.acrnpncnI sculpted the bag base from homemade bakeable bread clay. I painted it with ‘Apple Barrel’ paint and a coat of mod-podge. I hot-glued the pinecone tree to the bread-clay bag base. I tied a piece of red yarn around the bag for a bow.brdbgs

Wishing you all a happy week!

.

Mystery Nest or Not – mystery solved

p1100264We were out for a walk and saw a strange looking object in a tree. We first surmised that it was a nest. It looks as if the limbs and pinecones were woven or piled to make it somewhat of a dome shape and the new growth is a healthy green.
However, It’s awfully far out on limb for such a large nest and it’s quite late in the year for a new nest.

I surfed the internet and can’t find any critter that builds a nest like this.
We’ve finally loosely decided that possibly during a wind gust that the twigs and pinecones got trapped in the Y of the limb forming a platform of sorts and the new growth sprouted out of it and made the dome shape.

Do you recognize this and what it may be?
I’d love to hear your thoughts.
p1100098
p1100099
p1100261
p1100264

edited in 11-29-2016:
I’m happy to report that Jane Tims has solved the mystery nest; it’s called a “Witch’s Broom”
It’s an over-growth that can be caused by various things. Jane Tims has an interesting post that explains about it called “Witch’s Broom”  If you get a chance pop over and read it.
Thanks so very much Jane for solving my mystery. 🙂

.

November Wreath

IMG_5572

~*~
The wreath base is made from old papers and covered in raffia.
The decorations on the wreath are stuff from around the yard: acorns, pine needles, straw, pine-cones and leaves

The leaves are real too, but they feel like a plastic or a light-weight vinyl. They look better in real life.
I wish they hadn’t reflected the flash so much.

I picked the leaves, laid them out on a piece of cardboard and covered them with paper towels and a heavy book. I left them for a day or two.
I painted each leaf with 3 coats of outdoor mod-podge, Allowing the leaves to dry thoroughly between coats.
After a few weeks and the glue totally cures out, the leaves don’t feel real anymore. It’s pretty neat when that happens.
t120003m1270t110008

~*~
Sending you all positive thoughts and warm wishes.t120002

~*~

Here’s why I’m postinging a ‘Wreath of the Month’ for every month of 2014.
~*~

spgrnbgln