Redwork Update, 1st corn harvest, surprise squash

I finally chose a fabric for the borders of my redwork block. I ordered it and it should be here in a couple weeks. The fabric company I ordered from has good prices, but they are slower with shipping than I’m used too. I hope the fabric is the right weight to work well with my blocks. The weight of fabric is one of the hardest parts about shopping online. Oh well, I’ll know soon enough.
As close as I can figure, I’ve got 2 more redwork blocks to go. I’m enjoying making them, but I’ll be glad when they’re all finished and ready to be made into a quilt top. Here’s an edited photo of the blocks I’ve finished so far since I returned to doing my redwork project.

My husband harvested 4 ears of peaches and cream corn for our supper Sunday evening. It was really good, but it wasn’t as sweet and tasty as in previous years. We wonder if might have something to do with the dry Summer we’ve had.

While harvesting squash the other day, my husband discovered that we have a light color acorn squash growing. Since we planted only dark green Early Acorn squash seeds, the light color one on a separate vine is quite a surprise. I think it may be called a golden acorn squash. I hope it gets the chance to mature before the evil squash vine borers kills the vine. Surprise veggies put an extra bit of fun in gardening.

Wishing you all have a fun week.

.

Advertisements

A Return to Redwork

I haven’t worked on my redwork since 2014. We had a lot going on in our lives back then and I couldn’t give it the attention it requires. So, I folded it up and put it away. Fortunately, I had the good sense to put the redwork fabric, embroidery thread and supplies all together in a bag and there they stayed in the drawer for the past 4 years. Having the supplies altogether sure made it handy for me when I decided to return to it.

I went back through my blog posts and read about my redwork. I’ve changed a couple of my plans for it. I’m not going to dye the fabric and I’ve cut the blocks apart. I plan to add a small print red fabric border on the blocks. As it turns out, planning to use a border and cutting the blocks apart was a good move for me because now I only have a few blocks to go, whereas when I had the fabric in one large piece I needed like 16 more pictures to embroider.

This morning, in an effort to try to arrange the blocks in some sort of order, I laid a sheet on the floor and began to lay out the blocks. Shelibean decided that what the blocks needed was for him to test them for comfort. He found them to be quite comfortable and napped there for about 20 minutes. I didn’t mind, he was cute sleeping peacefully and I was busy going through my coloring pictures and trying to choose some for the last few blocks.I’m glad to have my redwork as an active work-in-progress once again. My Redwork is the perfect example of my starting a project and some times needing to leave it alone until the time is right for me to finish it. It doesn’t really bother me having unfinished projects, matters-a-fact there’s a strange sense of comfort in it for me. Although, from time-to-time I need to finish my unfinished projects before starting new ones. Now that I’ve got my redwork going again, I hope I can keep up my motivation and finish it before the Summer is over, that would make me so happy.

Have a happy weekend.

*Related Redwork Posts

.

WIP Wednesday – Joy In The Journey Cross Stitch

wip-1-24-2017-aI’m starting this lovely cross stitch titled ‘Joy In The Journey’.  I bought it a year or so ago. Since I enjoyed doing the ‘Cardinal Cross Stitch Hanger’ cross stitch I thought I’d give this a try.

I plan to post my updates of any noticeable progress I make on it.
Here’s what I’ve done so far:
Using my sewing machine, I zig zagged around the edges of the cross stitch cloth so it wouldn’t ravel out.
The fabric had some major creases, so I soaked it in cold soapy water, rinsed it, rung it out rolled up in a towel and ironed it dry.
To find the center, I measured with 2 measuring sticks and made a tiny stitch in the middle mark.
I mounted the cross stitch cloth on a frame with legs that I made out of pvc pipe and pvc joints.
I cross stitched two middle rows of the pattern.
And now my project waits until I’m ready to work on it some more.wip-1-24-2017-b

I hope your week is going well.
Happy crafting!

.

Box of Colors Redwork Block

IMG_6776My Redwork block for today is from my love of coloring and coloring pictures (which this picture was on my ex-website)

I’m thinking I might should go get the grandson’s colors and color up a Spring time scene and tape it to the window. I do believe that’s the only way Spring is going to arrive this year… yes, I know it’s January and full on winter time, but we’re experiencing rare cold and snowy weather for our region and it only makes Spring seem that much further away.  ~sad sigh~

I’m thankful that so far snows in our region have been light and fleeting. My warm thoughts go out to the regions where folks are getting snowed under or are having heavy snows. I feel so sad for you all. I hope you all can put on a pot of soup and stay indoors until the roads are cleared and safer to drive on.

Here’s wishing you all warm thoughts
and happy dreams of Spring.

🙂

spcr1